NH’s Hot Tips On How To Increase Your Vegetable Intake
It’s no secret that we all know we should be eating more veggies than we actually do…
The Australian Healthy Eating Guidelines recommend eating 5 servings of vegetables per day. Now most of us know that eating vegetables are important for health, but in reality, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, only 12.8% of Australian women are living up to this recommendation. Vegetables are important to consume everyday as they contain vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and dietary fibre, which pose a range of health benefits.
What equals 1 serve of vegetables?
- 1 cup of raw veg/leafy greens
- 1/2 cup of cooked green or orange veg
- 1/2 medium potato or other starchy veg
- 1 medium tomato
Here are 5 easy tips to include more veg in your diet:
- Veggie noodles & rice: Upgrade your meals by swapping out pasta and noodles for vegetables! Or mix them through with your pasta/noodles for the best of both worlds. All you need is a vegetable peeler or a spiralizer. Zucchini, sweet potato and carrots are perfect for this. The same goes for rice dishes, blitz cauliflower or broccoli and use in replacement of rice or mix through your rice.
- Smoothies: Thicken your smoothies by adding in frozen vegetables. Raw cauliflower and zucchini are perfect as they are so mild you can’t taste. Or for some extra greens you can’t go wrong with adding some spinach.
- Add vegetables to your breakfast: Try fresh sprouts on top of avocado toast, add a side of grilled mushrooms to your eggs on toast, a side of sauteed greens to your bacon and eggs, or a pumpkin and silverbeet quiche.
- Snack on veggies: Make some homemade baked veggie chips using kale or sweet potato or accompany your favourite healthy dip with veggie sticks. Cottage cheese is delicious with carrot sticks, or celery and hummus.
- Greens powder: Let’s be real, if it’s still a struggle to get your 5 serves in, why not try a delicious greens powder? One serve of our Gorgeous Greens is equal to one serve of vegetables in a delicious drink! It couldn’t be easier to get one serve in! Check out our Gorgeous Greens here.
BONUS RECIPE: Christmas Frozen Yoghurt Bark
If you have never tried yoghurt bark then you definitely should! This is a healthy and fun Christmas snack, with the extra benefits of a serve of veggies - what more could you want!
Here’s what you will need:
- 1 cup of yoghurt of choice, we used coconut yoghurt
- Fruit of choice, we used blueberries
- Nuts of choice, we used almonds
- Dark chocolate chips
- 2 serves of Very Vanilla Gorgeous Greens
Here’s how to make it:
- Line a tray with baking paper
- Mix 2 serves of Very Vanilla Gorgeous Greens into 1 cup of yoghurt
- Pour the yoghurt onto the tray and spread evenly
- Decorate with toppings
- Freeze until solid (around 4 hours)
- Break into small pieces
- Serve and enjoy!
Our Gorgeous Greens blend is designed to give your body a daily dose of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants whilst simultaneously equalling one serve of veg! Shop our Gorgeous Greens range here.